Wimbledon: The Finals

Andy Roddick

Andy Roddick

I’m sure all Monday’s headline’s will be about Federer’s historic exploits. There is no question the man is a genius and deserves his rewards, but for me so much about Yesterday’s final was about Andy Roddick, The Player AND more importantly, the Person.

I, for one, was sceptical of Andy ever making another Major final, but the effort he put in prior to the start of this season to get him self physically and mentally prepared says a lot about the guy. A Wimbledon final was just reward, and the quality of tennis he displayed on both Friday and yesterday was world class and for me, deserving of a better result!

But for me his first answer to Sue Barker (on court interviewer) after he lost, was profound. When asked if tennis can be a cruel sport, Andy’s response was ” No, i’m one of the lucky ones who has all you guys cheering for me…..” Instead of feeling sorry for himself and behaving like a broken man ( which he had every right to, given what had unfolded in the match!!!) Andy chose to count his blessings at what was undoubtably the toughest time perhaps in his career….. To have that attitude, that character, speaks volumes about Andy Roddick as a person, and for that i salute you A-Rod….

For anyone who has has played sport at a high level, they will have a good idea of what Roddick is feeling like tonight, but to have the humility to realise how fortunate you have been in your life/career/sport whatever, at such a raw moment, for me….that is CLASS! If you have class, you don’t need much of anything else in life. If you don’t have it, no matter what else you have, it doesn’t make much difference…..

Hope you all enjoyed The Championships as much as i did!!!
Robbie

7 Responses to Wimbledon: The Finals

• Devin says:

Well Put

• Mike says:

Hey Rob

Well said again buddy. I never thought before this season that Roddick would make it to another major final. Its almost as if he won his first grandslam too early in his career to appreciate and understand how hard it is to do. I get the feeling he sort of thought that it was just going to fall for him for the rest of his career but that wasn't to be.

I thought he was a bit of a one trick pony but I really love the way he mixed it up last night. He proved me wrong mentally and physically this season and I am really happy for the guy. Ive always thought in the past that he was over rated as a player and very fragile mentally but this season he has really turned his career around. He deserves to be in the top 5 in the world and well done to him.

Theres nothing I love more than seeing a guy who everyone has given up on to turn it around and prove the world wrong. Andy has never been one of my favourite players or people but after the year so far and especially last night, I certainly have a new found respect and admiration for the man. Well Done Andy and best of luck for the rest of the season.

• Seth says:

"One of the lucky ones."

I wonder if Andy was aware that the day before was the 70th Anniversary of Lou Gehrig's farewell speech, which featured the "luckiest man on the face of the earth" line. In the tradition of the immortal Gehrig, Andy showed enormous class and dignity. Would love to see a rematch at Flushing Meadow.

• Daniel says:

Robbie, surely Federer is the best player in the history, but everybody just praise him forgeting Andy. So I'm glad you put the accent where people forgot.

Mike, Seth agree with you all. Roddick is a Man in true meaning of this word. I liked when he has beaten Muzza he said sorry to fans. He's not arrogant.Some say he's disrespectful to referees, but Andy proved me wrong this two weeks. He's put so much effort and showed such a strong mentality ( I didn't expected this from him after seeing his matches with Kunitsyn and Melzer ), working these years, esp 2009 so hard. It's never easy to be No.1 and come back at high level, remember Ferrero and Safin they fell mentally, but Andy – u're great MAN, your attitude is a good example for us all, that we should never give up in this life. Sounds like cliche, but tennis is a mirror sometimes of life.

• Robbie says:

Dev, Mike, Dan, Seth thanks for your thoughts….I really hope this result will motivate Andy to keep on improving and working hard at his game. It is so easy to sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labour, but as you rightly pointed out, it's very tough to train HARDER as you get older, which is exactly what you have to do, to keep up with the "young guns". This is Roddick in a nut shell
    I'm not too sure what my 1st words will be to Andy when i see him in the summer…..not sure whether you would want to hear sympathetic remarks, and does telling him how well he played serve any pourpose???( What do you guys think…???) I think i tell him he's a Class act!!!

• KGiz says:

Wimbledon was epic! Not much else you can say about. But I think the best thing about Wimbledon this year was that it showed the immense depth of men's tennis right now. Andy Roddick has just been a consistent player on the tour for years now and was just considered as a steady last 8 or maybe last 4 performer. But his run at Wimby showed that even he had the drive to improve further so that he could compete again. Larry Stefanki has obviously injected some sort of desire for success back into him.
    Even with the world no.1 pulling out, Wimbledon was as exciting as ever!
    How many days now 'til Flushing Meadows?!?

• Stephanie says:

Andy has never been my favorite player-not even close. But after the W finals I have newly found respect for the man, and the tennis player. To gut it out as he did, faced with a formidable task to overthow the king, well….. I really predicted straight sets loss, but he proved me and many others wrong. So Robbie, what you can tell Andy is that now he has a new fan base, full of respect for him as a peson, and for his new gritty game this year. Hats off to A-Rod! Maybe married life is agreeing with him!